Defensible Space & Home Hardening Matching Fund Program
The Town of Woodside is committed to reducing the threat of wildfire in our community. In support of this effort, the Town Council has established the Defensible Space and Home Hardening Matching Fund Program.
Each program year is from July 1st through June 30th.
Defensible Space is the area between a house and an oncoming wildfire where the vegetation has been modified and/or maintained in a way that significantly reduces fire fuel loads and the wildfire threat and provides an opportunity for firefighters to more effectively defend the house. Additionally, defensible space needs to be established and maintained a minimum of 30 feet from the perimeter of the property. The following activities are examples of ways to create defensible space:
- Removal of dead brush and woody debris;
- Mowing annual dry grasses;
- "Limbing up" trees that are within 100 feet of a structure;
- Removal of trees for fire protection as recommended by the Woodside Fire Protection District.
The following three home hardening projects are also eligible for reimbursement under the program:
- Replacement of an existing wood shake roof with a non-wood shake roof;
- Installation of non-combustible ember-resistant vent screens and/or chimney spark arrestors;
- Installation of an approved seismic gas shut-off device or valve that will shut off gas automatically in an earthquake.
The purpose of the Town's Defensible Space and Home Hardening Matching Fund Program is to encourage Woodside residents to create and maintain defensible space around their homes and the perimeter of their properties and take actions to make their homes more fire resistant through the provision of a matching fund grant to help offset the cost of this undertaking.
For approved projects, the Town will reimburse you 50% of the cost of creating defensible space and/or home hardening, up to a maximum of $3,000.
- Obtain an application and contact Dee Dee Nannini, Prevention Administrative Assistant for the Woodside Fire Protection District at 650-851-1594 or via email to schedule a Defensible Space/Home Hardening Assessment.
- Bring the completed and signed Application and Assessment to Woodside Town Hall.
- Town staff will notify you if the application has been approved.
- After receipt of the approved application, you may have the defensible space and/or home hardening work done on your property.
- Submit a copy of your Defensible Space/Home Hardening Assessment to Town Hall indicating which items have been completed. Include copies of paid invoices for the work.
- The Town will reimburse you for 50% of the accomplished work, up to a total of $3,000.